Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Fountain

I just watched Darren Aronofsky's masterful film "The Fountain."

This was my second viewing and I appreciated its depth considerably more this time around. Though optically sublime, on the first viewing of the film I left the theater somewhat puzzled, wondering what exactly was the primary assertion or epiphany.

Moreover, I think the first time I was so consumed by the unbelievably stunning cinematography that I had minimal mental capacity left for insight.

For cinematography, this film may be my top pick.

My Interpretation


Let me precursor any thoughts here by saying one of the most attractive parts of this film is it's interpretational multiplicity.

That said, I think it presents three roads to eternal salvation. In fact, the most common ones pursued by man, i.e., honor/bravery, pure faith, and modern science. However, I think it makes clear that the only legitimate road to the eternal life is through acceptance of death.

Once dead, one is free to be reborn.

Death is itself a piece, a division, a branch of the Tree of Life. And like any tree, some branches must eventually decay, break, and fall so that the trunk can remain healthy. Then, the tree is able to grow a new branch of life. The death of a branch is a small sacrifice for eternal existence of the tree.

When people pass away, their life energy released in death goes back into the Tree of Life and it is precisely that energy which produces new creations and beings.

According to the characters of The Fountain,

"Death is the road to awe."

No comments: